Telf: 966 72 10 87 - Plaza Del Ayuntamiento, 1, 03187 Los Montesinos atencionalpublico@losmontesinos.org
-

Pozos, aljibe de la finca de Lo Reig, aljibe de Lo Vigo Viejo y aljibe de La Marquesa

Pozos, aljibe de la finca de Lo Reig, aljibe de Lo Vigo Viejo y aljibe de La Marquesa

In La Marquesa, Aljibe with barrel vault and decantation bucket. Its existence is documented in the middle of century XVIII, coinciding with the establishment of settlers; Made by the Oriol Jesuits, owners of the estate, to guarantee the supply of water to this first nucleus of population, which reached the largest entity among the large estates of the dry land. The storage of water came with costly preparatory work on the land to take advantage of the natural runoff of the rainwater and channel them through the ramblas towards the reservoir excavated in the existing sedimentary substrate.
It has a rectangular floor plan (13.50 mx 4.30 m.) And covered with a half-barrel vault, with a chapel-like ceiling, topped by a spherical dome, now disappeared, as well as a large part of the vault. The walls of masonry locked with lime mortar are plastered with hydraulic lime, both inside and outside, the latter presenting reddish stucco remains.
The water of the avenues was directed by an open conduit, until a well decanter of circular plant, that connected with the entrance orifice through a small channel. d’avingudes es dirigia per una conducció oberta, fins a un pou decantador de planta circular, que connectava amb l’orifici d’entrada a través d’una petita canaleta.

Aljibe

The reservoir of Lo de Vigo Viejo is an exponent of the water architecture so typical in the dryland of Bajo Segura. It is a construction of mortar of lime and caliche stone, plastered plaster. The building comprises two parts, one exterior finished in a hexagonal chapel, with the access limestone gray limestone, coming from the Sierra de Orihuela; And another interior, constituted by a rectangular cistern covered by vault of cannon of 4 by 8 meters. The whole set is isolated by a wall of 25 cm of thickness, finished in roma form. Over time the lack of use has ended with this type of work, framed within the culture of water, and that forms a patrimonial rest necessary to preserve for later generations, before the changes so extraordinary happened in the rainfed.
Lo de Reig cistern, located on the Lo de Reig estate, along with the others mentioned above, reflect the importance for our ancestors that has had the storage of water. This cistern is an exponent of the water architecture typical of the Campo de Salinas, which can be dated in the eighteenth century coinciding with the start of operation of the property by its owner, Don Jose Reig and Corbi, at the beginning of that century.
It is formed by a cistern of rectangular plant (35 mx 6 m.) Excavated in the subsoil, whose work of masonry and lime mortar has a half barrel vault, with three circular perforations as a vent.
The system of rainwater collection was made from the west sector, through several channels that converge in the hall, circular plant and 5 m. Of diameter that, in turn, communicated with the entrance of the cistern.
About ten meters from this great cistern is located another one that stored the water from that one from a spillway. This second deposit is of circular plan, with cover of false dome.

Ubicación en el mapa

Partida de la Marquesa

Partida de la Marquesa

It is located on the outskirts of the town 3.5 km away. Located northeast of the Campo de Salinas, in an area of ​​improved rainfed that used to irrigate the rainwater coming from nearby elevations. Its population goes back to Roman times and it is attested by the existence of archaeological remains and uillae rusticae in the vicinity, as well as by the passage through the hacienda of Via Augusta. Similarly, the so – called “Tesorillo de la Marquesa”, a set of Arab coins from the 10th and 11th centuries, found in 1974.

The property was part of the immense territorial heritage that in the district owned the noble house of Rafal. In 1695, by the testamentary disposition of Mrs. Mª Manuela Valenzuela and Vázquez Fajardo, Marquess of Rafal, this property and another contiguous one was donated to the company of Jesus established in Orihuela, that increased the number of settlers by means of establishments emphitéuticos in 1723.

This settlement that, with the passage of time, was the origin of the hamlet of Los Montesinos, became one of the most dynamic of the area during the seven hundred. At the end of this century the agricultural town was formed by a main house, fifteen small houses, hermitage and other dependencies of agricultural use like well, cistern, oil mill, hayloft and cellar. Among its traditional uses are those of cereal, vine, olive, moreral and pasture.

On the day of Our Lady of the Rosary, the municipality of Los Montesinos goes to La Marquesa in pilgrimage, to spend the day there.

The Departure of the Marquesa, the composes:

  • His Church at the end of the seventeenth century.
  • The Aljibes of La Marquesa, from the middle of the eighteenth century.

 

 

Location on the map

 

Church of Our Lady of Pilar

Church of Our Lady of Pilar

The parish church, under the patronage of Our Lady of the Pillar, was built in 1886, a fact that evidences the consolidation of the human settlement that emerged spontaneously in the vicinity of the Torrevieja lagoon, through the appropriation of a public space, occupied since the mid-S .XIX. Until 1948 it remained as a parish aid of the hermitage located in La Marquesa, in its genesis dependent on San Miguel de Salinas, hacienda that in 1829 obtained, in the ecclesiastical reorganization realized by the bishop Félix Herrero Valverde, the category of parochial temple. This function has been playing for more than a century; However, as the hamlet located on the aforementioned privately-owned estate did not prosper, its role was declining in favor of the economic and demographic dynamism that is manifested in the town of Los Montesinos.

It has a central nave, two smaller sides, space dedicated to the main altar, choir and tower. In the imagery that beautifies it stands out: image of Our Lady of Pilar, carving of great perfection, initialed by the sculptor pilarense José Sánchez Lozano; Virgen de la Dolorosa, a spectacular work of the Salzillo school and the awe-inspiring round-shaped sculpture, the Christ of Agony, an anonymous author. This temple has undergone changes in its internal structure and its external appearance in the period from 1996 to 1999.

 

Location on the map

 

Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Pilar

Hermitage of La Marquesa

Hermitage of La Marquesa

 

Located in an end of the square that conformed the agricultural town and the manor house of the property the Marquesa, was in its origin dependent of the parish of San Miguel de Salinas. In 1829, as a result of the ecclesiastical reorganization carried out by the bishop Felix Herrero Valverde, it acquired the category of parochial temple, with the mission to give religious assistance to the peasants of the adjacent fields and to the inhabitants of Los Montesinos. It was closed in 1990, becoming dependent on its territory of parishioners to the parish of Los Montesinos.

The building has a rectangular floor plan, with a gabled roof, and a bell-tower topped off in a chapel. It has two naves, a central one finished in the main altar and another one with chapels dedicated to the Holy Christ Crucified and to the Immaculate Conception, in whose end the sacristy is located. The tower is of square plan, with three bells housed in the 3rd body of the same. It has undergone several reforms among which it is necessary to point out those realized by the Jesuits, owners of the hacienda in century XVIII, and those carried out in the middle of century XIX, after the impact suffered by the earthquake that ravaged the region in the year 1929 .

The temple is under the invocation of the Virgin of the Rosary to which, in the first week of October, the residents of Los Montesinos organize pilgrimage and other religious and festive celebrations in memory of their primitive parish.

 

 

Location on the map